Friday, July 31, 2015

Sapphire


Last night I free-camped at the junction of the Capricorn Hwy and the Anakie - Sapphire Hwy, which wasn't bad as far as noise goes, even though the army was shifting several tanks and other equipment west towards Alpha.

Tonight I am free-camping at Sapphire and today I have been to Bogantugan.

From Sapphire it is 10km south to the Capricorn Hwy and then west for 27.7km to the Willows turnoff and then another 25.4km further west to Bogantugan where there is a rest stop either side of the highway and a sign pointing south over the rail line to the cemetery. The cemetery is small with a mixture of very old headstones and a few very new ones, no grass and the area is very dry. I have decided to stay in Sapphire for two nights.

The Willows is one of those places a bit out of the way with lots of yards that have several old cars parked permanently. Stopped and spoke to a couple of fossickers on the side of the road and was shown a couple of small specimens which I doubt would pay for their efforts. You need a license (a couple of bucks at the local store) and there are unwritten rules, like don't dig in a hole that has an upturned bucket in it. I think it is the sort of thing that you would stay for a couple of months in the winter time and be prepared to be disappointed at the end. Maybe next time through the area I will give it a try.

Woke this morning to the sound of these birds.



Decided to see if they were interested in a bit of bread and seconds later I was mobbed by a hundred rainbow lorikeets, sitting wherever they could, on my arms, head and shoulders.

Cold last night but it looks like being a good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment