Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A view of Normanton

Sunrise in the main street

There isn't much that remains of that part of Normanton that was on the north bank of the Norman River. There is a popular freecamp on the western side of the road to Karumba (only when it is dry) and this tower on the eastern side.

At the northern end of town is the old Burns Philp building where either everyone worked or shopped.

This is now the information centre.

This is where the shire of Carpentaria (64,373 km²) is administered.

In the main street, Landsborough Street, you will find these cast iron plates over the gutters. They were manufactured in Croydon.

Two of the hotels in Normanton. The Central in the foreground and the Albion on the left.

The Albion hotel was once owned by Emily McDOUGALL, the author's grandmother, in the 1920s. She sold it to Mrs. Lee in 1929 when she went to Croydon for the day to seal the deal.

The third hotel in Normanton is the Purple Pub, which in a previous incarnation was the National hotel.

Further down the street is a cafe with petrol bowser.

Another prominent business in town is Gallagher's butcher shop which specializes in beef that is paddock to plate.

Road trains in the main street of town are not unusual and we see here some braham cattle that are off to be made into tomorrow's roast beef.

Nevile Shute stayed in town for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment